Transit VISA through UK

In transit through the UK

This section explains how you can transit through the UK when travelling to another country.
It also explains the documents that you will need to bring with you.

If you pass through the UK without staying here on the way to another country, this is called ‘transiting’.

There are two types of transit through the UK:

You will transit airside if you arrive on a flight, remain in the arrival lounge of the airport without
passing through
 immigration control, and then depart on another flight from the same airport.

You will transit landside if you arrive on a flight, pass through immigration control and then leave
the UK 
within 48 hours (or 24 hours if you are travelling under the ‘travel without visa’ concession).

If you want to spend longer than 48 hours in the UK before continuing your journey, you must come
to the UK as a visitor. The Visiting the UK section contains more information.

Whether you are transiting airside or landside, you may need to obtain a UK visa before you begin your journey.
Find out whether you need a visa to transit airside
Find out whether you need a visa to transit landside

There are special requirements if you are transiting the UK on your way to or from the Republic of Ireland,
the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. The Travelling through the Common Travel Area.

Questions ? Consultation NOW